RE: Benefits of Unicode

From: Alistair Vining (alistair.vining@ntlworld.com)
Date: Mon Jan 29 2001 - 16:28:23 EST

Richard Cook [mailto:rscook@socrates.Berkeley.EDU]

> Has anybody played devil's advocate to this, with a list of "Failings of
> Unicode"? Are there any? :-) This question might in fact result in a
> longer Benefits list ....

Somebody mentioned TRON, which I'd not heard of before, but
<http://tronweb.super-nova.co.jp/characcodehist.html> says:

"""
Although Unicode has been criticized as being little more than an exercise
in cultural imperialism on the part of western computer manufacturers, the
biggest problems with Unicode are in fact technical ones, which can be
listed as follows:

1) There is no information to identify the language being used, which
affects sorting, etc.
2) User defined characters, which cause problems in data transmission, are
allowed
3) There is no room for further expansion using two-byte (16-bit) codes
4) There is an excess of similar characters
5) Some characters are created through composition, which destroys the
fixed-length scheme
6) Conversion to/from Unicode is not simple for users of Chinese, Japanese,
and Korean
"""

But if that's all that's wrong with Unicode, then I think you're safe.

Al.