Re: Benefits of Unicode

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine.Leca@renault.fr)
Date: Wed Jan 31 2001 - 10:16:45 EST

Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:

> <quote>
> There are several features that make the TRON approach to multilingual
> processing unique. One is that the TRON character set is "limitlessly
> extensible," and thus it is capable of including all scripts that have ever
> been used, and even new scripts that have yet to be invented.
> </quote>
>
> Does anybody think we're about to run out of the 1,000,000+ codepoints
> available in Unicode any time in the next century?

I am *sure* than before 200 years:
- either Unicode will have been superseeded with something bigger (cause
at the actual rate of growth, the unit of processing power will be
*much* bigger than 8 or even 16 bits)
- or text encoding using characters will be something of the then past.
Just compare with the state of affairs back in 1801...

Even for the end of _this_ century (which is what Peter probably meant),
there are much things that can change and any prediction in this area
is highly hazardeous.

Antoine