RE: [OT] Unicode-compatible SQL?

From: Carl W. Brown (cbrown@xnetinc.com)
Date: Wed Jan 31 2001 - 20:57:42 EST

Tague,

"datatypes which are always UCS-2"

You have to be careful with Oracle because you can only use the UCS-2 subset
of UTF-8. The Oracle CLOB is also stored as UCS-2 not UTF-8. One of the
problems with UTF-8 is field sizing, as the fields must be sized in UTF-8
bytes not characters.

There are advantages and disadvantages of Oracle and SQL Server.

Carl