Re: Cross posting (was Fwd: Character encoding systems for Arabic Web pages ?)

From: DougEwell2@cs.com
Date: Thu Feb 01 2001 - 11:20:13 EST

In a message dated 2001-02-01 1:01:07 Pacific Standard Time,
seshat@writeme.com writes:

> Doug Ewell wrote on the Unicode List:
> > There seems to be a lot of crossover between the Qalam and
> > Unicode lists today.
>
> The most likely explanation for this is that most Qalam members were
invited
> through the Unicode List.
>
> Another possible reason is that the topics of the two lists have a large
> area of intersection. Qalam deals writing systems in general, but character
> sets are also a welcome subtopic. The Unicode List is to discuss Unicode,
> but understanding this complex standard requires a lot of knowledge and
> discussion about writing systems in general.
>
> Consequently, people often consider appropriate to cross post the two
lists.

It wasn't a big problem, and I wasn't especially annoyed by it. I simply
noticed the similarity between two messages posted yesterday:

- one about the details of a script as described in Daniels and Bright,
posted to Unicode but not Qalam
- one specifically about character encodings, posted to Qalam but not Unicode

I forwarded each message to the other mailing list, so there was actually no
cross-posting until I got involved. \u263a
I referred to "crossover" between the two lists.

I realize these two topics and lists have a lot of overlap, and many people
belong to only one list and may not even know the other exists.

> I don't see this as a problem for Qalam but, if this is a problem for the
> Unicode List, I am ready to ask Qalam members to stop cross posting.

There is no problem. It was just a little amusing.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California