Re: international characters in email subject line

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 00:05:19 EST

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Sean O Seaghdha wrote:

> On 12 Feb 2001, Michael (michka) Kaplan wrote:
>
> > Well, like I said Outlook does not support this -- it will only use the
> > default system code page (b.k.a. CP_ACP) for subject lines and any other
> > part of the header.
>
> On 12 Feb 2001, Jungshik Shin wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Raghu Kolluru wrote:
>
> > > My email client is outlook which does support international character
> > > sets. I can send/recieve non-ascii encoded body but not the subject line.
> [snip]
> > BTW, MS OE doesn't support it while Mozilla does support it.
>
> This is simply not true! I know we all like to bash MS from time to time,
> but people really get far too carried away. I don't know if the above is
> true about Outlook (as my installation is stuffed as far as e-mail goes), but
> it is NOT TRUE about Outlook Express. OE encodes the subject line with the
> same encoding as the body and often (?) the From header as well.

I stand corrected(thank you for correcting me). It's possible to enter
whatever script supported by IMEs installed on your system in both
Subject(and other headers) and body of the message. However, what
I wrote about the display of the headers in scripts NOT supported
by the default system code page still stands. For instance, MS
OE cannot display Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Russian headers under
English/French/Spanish/Italian/German MS-Windows in _the message *list*
display pane_, which Mozilla can. MS OE can display those headers for
individual messages.), though.

Not having checked out MS OE for a while, I was a bit confused what is
possible and what is not. Anyway, my comment and michka's have *nothing*
to do with MS bashing. I was just giving what I believed to be facts,
one of which was not true as it turned out. Please, note that Michael
(michka) Kaplan, I guess is, one of the last persons on this list to say
something not true just to make MS look bad. Of course, by this I'm not
implying by any means that there are some people who would do that on
this list.

Jungshik Shin