Re: Sanskrit Transliteration Characters

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov (
Date: Mon Feb 19 2001 - 23:55:35 EST

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 19:47:43 -0800, Krishna Desikachary wrote:

> a) There is an internationally accepted set of extra chars that are
> included in Roman (Latin) script to transacribe Sanskrit texts in
> Roman script. Does a Unicode standard exist for these characters?
> Were these ever standardises even outside the realm of Unicode?

Yes, there are CS (classical sanskrit), CSX (CS eXtended) and now CSX+
8-bit character sets for transliteration of Indic languages. CSX+
covers all the essential characters needed for ISO 15919, the draft
standard for transliteration of Indian languages.

Find attached a mapping file for CSX I wrote to convert a Pali
dictionary to Unicode (with perl's Unicode::Map module).

Contact Dr. Jhon D. Smith for further info:

> b) Are ther any public, or commercial fonts available that follow
> these standard.

Dr. Smith site carries some. Itrans by Avinash Chopde is also
distributed with some CS fonts:

SY, Uwe

--                         |       Zu Grunde kommen            |       Ist zu Grunde gehen