Re: Inverted breve in Greek?

From: Patrick T. Rourke (ptrourke@mediaone.net)
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 07:35:12 EST

In fact, this is the (barely) preferred form of the circumflex, or
perispomeni, for ancient Greek. Of four of the five major publishers of
ancient Greek texts (I don't have any Budes available to check), Cambridge
UP and Teubner use the tilde-like form in their type; Oxford UP and Harvard
UP use the rounded form. Of other publishers whose books I have readily
available, Macmillan, Oklahoma, American Book Company, and Aris and Phillips
use the rounded form, as do a couple of older Cambridge UP books; a book
from a prewar Berlin printer (A. Ebering) uses the tilde-like form; (the
following use Greek type in books which are primarily in Latin type)
California the rounded form, Methuen both, Manchester UP and Yale UP, the
tilde; Belgian Royal Academy, the rounded form. For the dates: one Harvard
UP book I checked was published in 1994, and an Oxford book in 1988. One
Cambridge book was published in 1985; the Teubners I checked stretch from
the 1880s to the 1970s. One cannot even talk about a "continental" or an
"American" preference.

Coding as u+0342, as Mr. Pietsch recommended, allows the printer to assign
to the character whichever form it wishes, rather than coding as a tilde or
an inverted breve, which forces the issue as to presentation.

Patrick Rourke