Re: What about musical notation?

From: Curtis Clark (jcclark@csupomona.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 00:28:57 EST

At 04:44 AM 2/22/01, Lukas Pietsch wrote:
>As far as I know, music printing with mobile letters of this kind was
>indeed done, mostly back in the 16th/17th century. There were "letters"
>which each represented one fragment of a stave with one or several
>noteheads on them. It tended to look pretty rough, though.

I used a scan beneath the navigation at
http://www.tapiasgold.com/home.html. The use of these "staff sorts" was a
technological advance that allowed music to be printed in much the same way
as text. A lot of our knowledge of 16th C. European secular music is based
on mass-produced printed works of a type unavailable in the previous century.

Biological Sciences Department             Voice: (909) 869-4062
California State Polytechnic University      FAX: (909) 869-4078
Pomona CA 91768-4032  USA                  jcclark@csupomona.edu