Re: bijective (was re: An Absurdly Brief Introduction to Unicode (was

From: David Starner (dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org)
Date: Mon Feb 26 2001 - 13:13:43 EST

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 07:18:55AM -0800, Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:

> On 02/24/2001 04:43:41 PM Richard Cook wrote:
>
> >Whence does this terminology derive? Set or Mapping theory?
>
> I learned it in high school algebra.

A quick survey around here indicates that OSU doesn't teach it in any
course a CompSci major takes; The vocabulary seems to be taught in
Modern Algebra (which is sets, groups and rings.)

> >Anyone
> >recommend a definitive text?
>
> I have handy the book from a topology course I took that gives definitions:
> Munkres, James A. 1975. Topology: A first course. Prentice-Hall.

My textbook (which may be a little easier going) is:
Hungerford, Thomas W. 1997. Abstract Algebra: An Introduction.
Saunders College Publishing.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and