Re: bijective (was re: An Absurdly Brief Introduction to Unicode (was

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Mon Feb 26 2001 - 08:47:25 EST

On 02/24/2001 04:43:41 PM Richard Cook wrote:

>Whence does this terminology derive? Set or Mapping theory?

I learned it in high school algebra.

>Anyone
>recommend a definitive text?

I have handy the book from a topology course I took that gives definitions:
Munkres, James A. 1975. Topology: A first course. Prentice-Hall.

>I imagine there are more such terms ...

Of terms, there is no end.

>e.g., what is it called if there are elements left over in the domain
>(but not in the codomain)? "Ejective"? I'm feeling "Dejective" for not
>knowing these terms already ...

But at least you recognised something that was likely to have been given a
name: surjective.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>