Re: Klingon silliness

From: Timothy Partridge (timpart@perdix.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 15:49:33 EST

Tex Texin recently said:

> Perhaps the real question is what is the criteria for including or
> excluding a fictional script. I have deleted John's mail, but
> his criteria applied more broadly than Klingon if I recall.
>
> Should we worry about elvish communication and not Klingon?
> Do we apply a business case to fictional scripts and not
> to other scripts?

Some of these scripts are in the PUA Conscript registry. Perhaps if a
significant body of text using a PUA encoding built up and was used for
interchange between many interested parties then it could be considered for
promotion into the standard.

On the subject of it taking hundreds of years to fill up the reserved space,
and the lack of available characters perhaps the most likely event for
filling it is contacting aliens! How come the Klingons only have one
language and script? :-) (Or did one of the movies have a diffent collection
of glyphs?)

   Tim

--
Tim Partridge. Any opinions expressed are mine only and not those of my employer