Re: Klingon silliness

From: John Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 17:44:02 EST

On Monday, February 26, 2001, at 09:57 PM, G. Adam Stanislav wrote:

> Unicode is a good way for Anglophones to "deal" with other languages.
> And to put pressure on other languages to do it the superior English
> way.

Given the amount of energy expended within Unicode to provide support
for writing systems which are *very* different from the Latin script as
used to write English, I really find this statement a little strong.
Indeed, many Unicode purists would argue that because the technology to
support Unicode failed to break from the standard's "non-English" way of
doing things, a lot of stuff was added to the standard that we would
have been better off without.

=====
John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com