Re: Unicode and ISO terminology

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 11:42:09 EST

On 03/03/2001 11:58:25 AM "J M Sykes" wrote:

>And yes, I have read "Character set considered harmful"
><http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html-spec/charset-harmful>

Thinking of the recent discussion regarding what "abstract characters" are,
I find it interesting that this Internet draft assumes that a character set
is a function from integers to "characters" (defined there as "atoms of
information" -- not a perfect definition by any means), The result is that
that author assumes that there cannot be two "characters" that correspond
to a given integer, but it is specifically allowed for that the mapping
from characters to integers need not be a function, i.e. a single character
can be mapped to more than one integer.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>