RE: UTF8 vs. Unicode (UTF16) in code

From: Christopher John Fynn (cfynn@dircon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 21:11:22 EST

John H. Jenkins [mailto:jenkins@apple.com]

> Some of the characters in Extension B are required for JIS X 0213
> support, which is going to be a sine qua non in Japan within a few
> years. There was a push a little while ago to put these characters
> on the BMP for precisely this reason, but it was opposed both within
> the UTC and WG2 and then abandoned.

IMO Rather an unfortunate decision since there was adequate room to include these characters on the BMP and it probably would have helped the acceptance of Unicode in Japan if these characters had been included there. Still, maybe this means that we will see widespread support for supplementary plane characters a little sooner than would have otherwise been the case.

- Chris