Pentagrams: (was: RE: UTF8 vs. Unicode (UTF16) in code)

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 21:12:16 EST

> > > Pentagrams? I haven't seen those... where are they?
> >
> > Hmmm... This is possibly an Italian word badly Anglicized. I just meant
> > "musical notation".
>
> Okay. I thought perhaps there were additions to "Misc Symbols" U+2600 ..
> U+267F or elsewhere that I had missed.

In Italian, "Pentagramma" is a musical term. Cf. "Pentagramma per voce
sola", etc.

But in English, a pentagram is an occult symbol-- a pentacle (5-pointed
star), usually inscribed inside a circle, and associated with witchcraft,
sorcery, and (by some) Satanism.

See http://www.exposingsatanism.org/signsymbols.htm for nice samples. ;-)

And no, the Unicode Standard hasn't encoded any pentagrams yet -- or
hexagrams or baphomets, for that matter.

--Ken