Re: Unicode complaints

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@sharif.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 15 2001 - 13:06:03 EST

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Suzanne M. Topping wrote:

> I've read periodic questions or comments from people dealing with bidi
> languages, but there doesn't seem to be the same level of discontent.
> Does this accurately reflect reality, or have I missed something?

Bidi computing is simply harder than what people consider it to be. That's
the reason current standards may have shortcomings, and every once someone
comes to a new problem with them that's not addressed. I have been the
source of many of those naggings, but I believe that the Unicode approach
is the best among the ones I've seen, and that's the reason I want to
help fix the final remaining problems.

I don't know enough about CJK, but I believe CJK experts have mush more
experience in computerizing their scripts than bidi experts do. So their
nagging should have much more meaning than ours.

--roozbeh