RE: Unicode complaints

From: Suzanne M. Topping (stopping@bizwonk.com)
Date: Thu Mar 15 2001 - 14:43:41 EST

Complaints is really too strong a word. A few weeks ago Tex posted a
request for "benefits" for a list he compiled, at which point someone
asked about the downsides of Unicode. This prompted a bit of discussion,
which I later went on to stir back up earlier this week.

A broad summary of the CJK issues that I gathered:

--Criticisms related to Han unification issues/problems

--Difficulty adding new characters

--Limited number of code points

--Encoding is not based on radicals and rendered on the fly.

Several listers very generously commented on these and other issues, for
which I am grateful.

Suzanne