Re: benefits of unicode

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 23:43:45 EDT

From: "Tex Texin" <texin@progress.com>

> Can you point me to a reference for Microsoft's strategy, that you
> mention?
> It would be useful to anyone promoting Unicode within an organization.

Just look at the new languages they added --- not a CP_ACP among them! I
overheard the guy who did the talks for MS at the last IUC telling someone
who asked that this was the offical policy going forward.

> Also, by languages below, you mean programming languages? Or support
> for new natural languages in existing Microsoft products?

No, I was being silly -- I meant people who spoke language ______ who found
it added to the next version of Windows would pretty much go buy someone's
else's app if yours did not support it. :-)

> Finally, although I agree Microsoft is a strong influence, there are
> other systems out there, so I have trouble with the leap of logic that
> from a Microsoft action we jump to the consequence that ALL
> applications are impacted.

Well, I did not mean it to be a global statement. But I tend to work under
the premise that if MS does the right thing somewhere, that between it being
an official MS polisy and the fact that is the best possible thing to do,
things will turn out all right if you bet the same way.

Whenever I doubt the premise, I look at my company and then look at
Microsoft. That will humble me! <g>

> I am very close to passing a virtual hat around to gather up funds
> to buy you a non-Microsoft OS. ;-)

Nah, been there, done that. I am having too much fun right where I am.

> See you in Hong Kong!

Certainly will!

Now if I could figure out how come you get to quote whole messages and I
don't, I'll be *really* happy!

MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc.