benefits of unicode

From: Tex Texin (texin@progress.com)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 23:12:40 EDT

Thanks Suzanne, I think I agree, but let's clarify-

I wasn't following all of the thread and so Michka's comments
are to me without context.

I know Microsoft does good things with Unicode and pioneering
internationalization for new markets. I wouldn't cite Microsoft's
support of only Unicode in certain markets, as making Unicode
a requirement for those markets. (Which is what I infer is
being said here.) I guess I am loathe to claim that Microsoft is the
only vendor that matters. (As I said, I am reading this without
context. Sorry Michael if I am misconstruing your words greatly.)

I would rather say simply that Unicode is the only character set
that exists for certain markets. I believe this is true, but
would like to have at least a few examples of scripts or
languages that have no other code pages but Unicode.
I have in mind Inuktitut and perhaps Byzantine music, but its
a bit hard to establish that there are no other code pages.
If I get suggestions of a few examples, I will add this "benefit"
to the list.

tex

--
According to Murphy, nothing goes according to Hoyle.
Tex Texin                      Director, International Business