FW: Unicode in Asia Question

From: Magda Danish (Unicode) (v-magdad@microsoft.com)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 13:34:06 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: NORIEGA,DANNY (A-HongKong,ex1) [mailto:danny_noriega@agilent.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2001 2:56 AM
To: 'info@unicode.org'
Subject: Unicode in Asia Question

Hi:

My company is planning to implement 16-bit Unicode. The proposal is to
go strictly and solely with Unicode (16 bit Unicode for Asia/Japan).

Up to this point we have specified the following encodings:
- Big 5 (Traditional Chinese)
- GB 2312 (Simplified Chinese)
- Shift - JIS (Japanese)
- KSC 5601 1967 (Korean)
- Iso-8859-1 (Western character sets)
- Unicode (we believe this is used for Russian)

I do not fully understand the need for the various encodings. I believe
there are local preferences for browsers (vendors, versions, plugins,
etc.) that are related to encoding. I have also heard there is some
need, in Japan for example, where web users routinely view the HTML
source and expect Shift-JIS.

Can you confirm what browser preferences (encoding driven) are user
musts? By this I mean IE 4.0+, Netscape, Mosiac, KK Man & etc.. And,
what are the customer needs that would make an specific encoding
(Unicode, Big 5, GB 2312 or KSC 5601 1967) a must?

The basic question I'm trying to answer is if we move forward with using
strictly Unicode, will my customers in Asia be adversely affected by
this decsion? Will they not be able to view content I place on my
website.

Best regards,

Danny Noriega
Asia eBusiness Manager