Re: Clarifications required

From: Rick McGowan (rick@unicode.org)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 11:53:16 EDT

Jaipal K, asked:

> 1) How exactly do I use the Unicode standard?

That depends on what you want to do with it. In Java, characters are
Unicode characters anyway, so you do nothing special. Java is a pretty good
choice for an underlying language.

But for basic questions about Unicode itself, you really should first look
at the introductory material on the Unicode web site.

> 2) For captions (field titles) on the user-interface

That is a localization issue, and I'm sure there are people on this list who
would be happy to have their companies help you with localization. The
answer depends on what kind of system you are using, etc, etc.

> 4) How do I present the reports? Do I need to design Report Formats
> for each language?

Probably not different formats per language, but you will need a basic
template that is suitable for strings of varying length.

> 6) How are numbers treated in Unicode?

For your financial purposes, just use ASCII numbers 0-9 with ".", "+" and so
forth. The "native digits" are probably not what you want.

But I would really suggest that you contact a localization or globalization
house who can answer your questions. These are not really questions about
Unicode itself, but about how to work with multi-lingual data on the web.

        Rick