Re: Clarifications required

From: Lateef Sagar (lateef_sagar@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 00:24:50 EDT

Hi,
I'll comment on just a few things

> > 4) How do I present the reports? Do I need to
> design Report Formats
> > for each language?
>
> Probably not different formats per language, but you
> will need a basic
> template that is suitable for strings of varying
> length.

(in continuation to Rick's reply)
You can design such templates in XML, i.e, create JSP
based reports that generate XML pages. You can have
one template per report type for all languages. XML
supports unicode, infact it's the native character
representation in XML, so all browsers and parsers
that support XML MUST support Unicode ot show XML
properly.

> > 6) How are numbers treated in Unicode?
>
> For your financial purposes, just use ASCII numbers
> 0-9 with ".", "+" and so
> forth. The "native digits" are probably not what
> you want.

if you want to display native digits:
Do all calculations in ASCII but when displayign them
in forms or reports you can show them in native
digits. All the nitive digit ranges (0 to 9) in
Unicode, including many Indian languages and Arabic
script, are in a series form. For example Farsi digits
are U+06F0 to U+06F9. So if you hardcode this U+06F0
type of constant for all languages that you want to
support, and just write a small function that gets a
'double' as parameter, converts the number into
string, parses all numeric charaters one by one, adds
current language 0 digit unicode value and saves the
digit character in a string, and returns that to the
report or form then you can use native numbers. But
yes it's very difficult for Text fields (check at
every input value), but not for labels (just display).

=====
Lateef Sagar Shaikh
Lateef_Sagar@yahoo.com
ICQ: 21341287