Re: Opentype support under Liunx

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Wed Aug 22 2001 - 17:19:08 EDT

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, David Starner wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 02:55:00PM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> >
> > > I'm studying ways to provide Linux with unicode-compliant Myanmar
> > > character fonts. Mark Leisure use .bdf format to enable to enter
> > > unicode values easily for some Indic fonts. With reference to that,
> > > I did .bdf !!!

> > How did you do it? With two preprocessors?
>
> Mark Leisher had a page up detailing a set of BDF hints that would
> allow a smart processor (i.e. Pango) to do appropriate glyph
> substition.

  Robert Brady also has a web page taking BDF to the 'extreme'(?)
for complex script rendering. See

  http://www.wholehog.fsnet.co.uk/robert//indic/fonts.html
  http://www.wholehog.fsnet.co.uk/robert//indic/
  http://www.wholehog.fsnet.co.uk/robert//xterm/

  Now I'm wondering if it's possible to even further extend
his Pango_ligature_hack to support 'Old Hangul'(used in medivial Korean)
and incomplete syllables in modern Korean.

  Jungshik Shin