Re: FW: Private Use Area - Building Combining Classes

From: James Kass (jameskass@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 14:02:58 EST

Peter Constable wrote:

> [...]

Uniscribe will provide glyph substitutions for glyphs encoded in the PUA
under certain conditions. The Uniscribe looks for glyphs in a certain range
based on the script, so if the first glyph ID in the GSUB or GPOS table is
not within that script's range (i.e., it's in PUA or not mapped), the Uniscribe
will not look it up.

But if the first glyph ID is in the target script range, it will trigger the
look-up.

I've recently completed testing GSUB and GPOS for Unicode Bengali.

For the conjunct form K-T-BA, the first step is to make the K-TA with
U+0995 U+09CD U+09A4. We'll call the resulting glyph U+E001. The next
step is to make the K-T-BA. U+E001 U+09CD U+09AC are the characters
needed, but Uniscribe has already performed a re-ordering, so in the
look-up table this string must appear as U+E001 U+09AC U+09CD. This
seems to work just fine. Once the first substitution has occured, the
resulting substitutions apparently consider that any new Glyph ID
produced by a previous substitution *is* part of the target script range,
and further substitutions will work.

Hope this helps,

James Kass.