Re: Strange plane 1 behaviour

From: James Kass (jameskass@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2002 - 15:53:27 EST

Otto Stolz wrote,

> I have tested three browsers with the example page
> <http://www.geocities.com/i18nguy/unicode-example-plane1.html>,
> which comprises NCRs of plane 1 characters.

> Results:
>
> - MS Internet Explorer 6.0.2600.0000.xpclient.010817-1148 [German]:
> All plane-1 characters are displayed, in the correct writing
> direction.

The HTML includes directional formatting info.

>- Opera version 6.0, Build 101 [German] without Java support:
> The plane-1 characters are not correctly displayed;
> rather, a row of boxes is displayed (only recognizable in
> 120% zoom, or larger). There are roughly (but not exactly)
> 2 boxes per plane-1 character, viz:
> "Rasna" -> 12 boxes, "Aulesi" -> 15 boxes, "Metelis" -> 13 boxes
> (judging from the word separator, which is displayed correctly);
> "Utah","Brigham", "Young", "žizai", "žiudangardjai", "žize",
> "Gutane", and "Wulfila" all have exactly twice as many boxes as
> there are characters in these words.
> The writing direction is correct.

> This means that Opera 6.0 does not display plane-1 characters, in
> all environments.

Opera has some fairly sophisticated font selection controls under
[File] - [Preferences]. You might try experimenting with some
of those settings.

I made some "on-line-line-editors" for various scripts inluding Gothic
and Old Italic. Because of problems with UTF-8 support in both IntExp
and Opera, not all of the pages at:
http://home.att.net/~jameskass/screenkeyindex.htm
will display, which pages will display is unpredictable.

But, Opera with java on W2K does just fine with both the Gothic and
the Old Italic pages as UTF-8. See the note on that page about which
settings in [File] - [Preferences] to set in Opera.

Both Opera and IntExp appear to have faulty font selection mechanisms
for UTF-8 which override the user's preferences in favor of fonts
which don't even contain any glyphs in the specified ranges. This
is why some of the pages won't display right.

As an example, IntExp on the Khmer input page only shows the right
glyphs for the numbers, the letters are all null boxes. Opera displays
the Khmer page fine, but has similar problems with a few of the other
pages. IntExp 5.5 on Win M.E. does a better job overall on these pages
than IntExp 5.0 on Win2K.

We identified a bug (unrelated to the previous paragraph) in Opera for
UTF-8 implementation of Plane One. It has been reported and may even
already be fixed. In Opera, Plane One ranges beginning with Deseret
won't display as UTF-8. All of Plane One appears to work in Opera as
NCRs.

Best regards,

James Kass.