Re: The benefit of a symbol for 2 pi

From: David Starner (starner@okstate.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 15:03:08 EST

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 11:16:51AM -0800, Rick McGowan wrote:
> If this symbol starts showing up widely instead of "2 pi" in mainstream
> high school math text books, then UTC will know it's time to encode it.
> Until then, it's a curiosity.

That's a little excessive, isn't it? I would think that maybe 100
publications by a dozen authors, and evidence of continuing use might be
enough to start serious discussion of encoding it. I mean, I'm within 12
hours of B.S. in Mathematics, and I haven't seen half the symbols in the
Mathematical Operators section outside the standard, much less in a high
school textbook.

--
David Starner - starner@okstate.edu, dvdeug/jabber.com (Jabber)
When the aliens come, when the deathrays hum, when the bombers bomb,