Re: Devanagari

From: James Kass (jameskass@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Jan 20 2002 - 23:01:52 EST

Doug Ewell wrote,

> I think before worrying about the performance and storage effect on Web pages
> due to UTF-8, it might help to do some profiling and see what the actual
> impact is.

The "What is Unicode?" pages offer a quick study.

14808 bytes (English)
15218 bytes (Hindi)
10808 bytes (Danish)
11281 bytes (French)
 9682 bytes (Chinese Trad.)

(The English page includes links to all the other scripts, but the individual
script pages only link back to the English page. So, the English page is a
bit larger than the other pages for this reason, not a fair test if we only
count the English and Hindi pages.)

The Unicode logo gif at the top left corner of each of these pages takes
1111 bytes. A screen shot of the beginning of the Hindi page takes
37569 bytes as a gif, the small portion cropped and attached takes
4939 bytes.

The "What is Unicode?" pages are at:
http://www.unicode.org/unicode/standard/WhatIsUnicode.html

Best regards,