Re: Keyboard mapping on Windows XP?

From: Frank da Cruz (fdc@columbia.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 12:52:49 EST

> Recently I got Windows XP. Now I need to "fix" the keyboard.
>
> On Windows 98 I used to use the great ZDKeyMap utility (a virtual driver
> available at zdnet.com) to remap several keys on my keyboard. This utility
> doesn't work with Windows XP.
>
> Does anyone out there have a keyboard re-mapping utility -- free or cheap
> or even expensive! -- that works for Windows XP.
>
> Thanks,
> Rick
>
> P.S. I've looked around a bit on the Net and did come up with "Remapper
> XP" utility, but it only swaps Control with CapsLock. If anyone knows how
> to swap the Escape and Tilde/Backquote keys, I'd be much obliged for info!

I gave up on all this a long time ago. I have to use PCs with many OS's, and
figuring out how to remap the keys on each one is too much of a time waster.
Instead, you can buy a very nice keyboard in the classic IBM tradition --
heavy, great touch, tactile/audible feedback, i.e. just like IBM keyboards
were before the advent of the cheesy $5 keyboard, but with Ctrl/Caps Lock
swapped and also Esc swapped with Grave/Tilde:

  http://www.pckeyboard.com/customizer.html

For this layout you want the "Linux II" model.

- Frank