MS Command Prompt

From: Patrick Rourke (ptrourke@methymna.com)
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 09:31:39 EST

> From: "Doug Ewell" <dewell@adelphia.net>
> Indie was doing the right thing by typing Alt+0248 to get the Latin-1
> character, instead of Alt+248 to get the MS-DOS character. That isn't
> the problem.
>
> In Windows 95, 98, and NT 4, everything that happens in the command
> prompt goes through the MS-DOS code page -- 437, 850 or whatever. Since
> Indie's code page is set to 437, and U+00F8 LATIN SMALL LETTER O WITH
> STROKE is not in code page 437, the internal conversion tables in NT 4
> converted '' to 'o', a reasonable if imperfect fallback. Note that
> Alt+0243 works just fine, because U+00F3 is in code page 437. Also note
> that if Indie had been using 850 instead of 437, there would have been
> no problem, since 850 does include U+00F8.
>
> Windows 2000 is different. You can set your command prompt code page to
> 437 and type Alt+0248, and you will still get the ' ' you want. The
> Alt+0xxx logic has been decoupled from the active code page issue, which
> is nice.
>
> Martin is right, you can change the code page; but I don't know if that
> will help Indie. What's kind of fun is that in Windows 2000, you can
> change your code page to 65001 and do all your command-prompt work in
> UTF-8.

In Windows XP, if I type the Alt+0248 in the command prompt with the font
set to "raster fonts," I get an o. If I type it in a command prompt with
the font set to Lucida Console, I get the ΓΈ. However, it only works if I
change the font before I type the character.

So I am guessing that in XP, whatever code page you have selected, if the
default font for the command line doesn't have the character you want,
you're stuck with the closest approximation in that font.

Don't know if this will help any with NT.

Patrick Rourke
ptrourke@methymna.com