Re: How many printable characters in 3.2.0?

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 11:35:38 EDT

Zsigri Gyula <zsigri@hung.u-szeged.hu> wrote:

> How many printable characters are there in Unicode 3.2.0? I tried
> desperately to find the answer at the Unicode web site but could
> not.

There are 95,156 total assigned characters.

To find the number of "printable" characters, you must first determine
what you mean by "printable" and then subtract that number. This is
where it might get tricky. Control characters, formatting characters,
and such are obviously not "printable," but what about things like
spaces? (Unicode 3.1 had about 20 of them.)

You might try subtracting those characters in
http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/UnicodeData.txt that have specific
properties, such as "Cc". Again, though, which properties are to be
excluded is up to you.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California