Re: Language name questions

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Mon May 27 2002 - 15:02:06 EDT

At 00:22 5/25/2002, I wrote:

>I've forwarded Deborah's query re. Slovenian to Petra Cerne Oven at the
>University of Reading. Petra is a) Slovenian and b) writing a doctoral
>dissertation on the application of the Latin script to Slavic languages,
>so she should be able to provide a reliable answer.

Petra responded to Deborah's query today, with a handy table comparing
Slovenian and Slovak terms for their respective countries, languages and
peoples. Some of these terms are very similar, which might explain some of
the confusion. With Petra's permission, I have uploaded her table to

         http://www.tiro.com/transfer/slovene-slovak.JPG

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

When the pages of books fall in fiery scraps
Onto smashed leaves and twisted metal,
The tree of good and evil is stripped bare.
                                        - Czeslaw Milosz