To hell with Unicode ;)

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@sharif.edu)
Date: Tue May 28 2002 - 08:07:31 EDT

Quoting 'Just van Rossum' from a post on the OpenType mailing list:

[...]
Sadly, some of the funniest quotes from the Python Quotations Collection are
about Unicode (from http://www.amk.ca/quotations/python-quotes/ and beyond):

  I never realized it before, but having looked that over I'm certain
  I'd rather have my eyes burned out by zombies with flaming dung sticks
  than work on a conscientious Unicode regex engine.
  -- Tim Peters, 3 Dec 1998

  Unicode: everyone wants it, until they get it.
  -- Barry Warsaw, 16 May 2000

  I am becoming convinced that Unicode is a multi-national plot to take
  over the minds of our most gifted (and/or most obsessive) programmers,
  in pursuit of an elusive, unresolvable, and ultimately, undefinable goal.
  -- Ken Manheimer, 19 Jul 2001

  Unicode is the first technology I have to deal with which makes me hope
  I die before I really really really need to understand it fully.
  -- David Ascher, 19 Jul 2001

roozbeh