RE: To hell with Unicode ;)

From: Addison Phillips [wM] (aphillips@webmethods.com)
Date: Tue May 28 2002 - 11:51:57 EDT

Hmmm...

I suspect that you could search-and-replace the word "Unicode" with the word
"multibyte" or the word "Japanese" and successfully turn the clock back ten
years. The difference between then and now is that internationalization
retrofit projects are being undertaken just to get Unicode support, rather
than to satisfy specific, transient language needs. And the results are
generally better [more useful to more people] than the single-purpose
solutions of the past.

That is: developers only used to think about these things when they were
forced to internationalize---and then they often took shortcuts to support a
single, specific language.

Unicode *is* complex. But I suspect that my copy of TUS (sans cover)
actually weighs less than my copy of Lunde/blowfish.

*I* would rather face that putative horde of zombies than go back to
multibyte enabling for a living.

Best Regards,

Addison