Re: Q: How many enumerated characters in Unicode?

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Thu Jun 06 2002 - 11:21:44 EDT

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, John H. Jenkins wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 5, 2002, at 07:27 AM, Adam Twardoch wrote:
>
> > Oh, thank you! I needed that figure to make a point why you cannot make a
> > single TrueType font covering all of the Unicode range. I knew it was way
> > more than 65,536, but it's better to quote a precise figure :)

> Ah, but the figure Ken give you isn't enough, anyway for two reasons:
>
> 1) Some scripts (e.g., south Asian scripts) will require additional glyphs
> for proper display.

  Other examples include Southeast Asian scripts, at least
one (North)East Asian script (Korean Hangul : fonts like Arial MS Unicode
without any opentype table for Hangul Jamo are _completely useless_
for Hangul Jamo rendering other than for the Unicode code chart) and
any scripts that require complex text layout.

  Jungshik Shin