Re: how to display japanese on english linux

From: Juliusz Chroboczek (jec@dcs.ed.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 03:40:01 EDT

YT> what does "English" Linux mean ? I don't think Linux itself is locale
YT> specific. There are such thing call English Linux exist.

I believe that the original poster meant that his Linux distribution
comes with functional DVD-playing software. American Linux cannot
include CSS decryption for legal reasons.

(Seriously: you are correct, of course. The original poster, coming
from the marketing-dominated background of commercial software,
wrongly assumed that Free software comes in locale-specific versions.
The only reason some people like locale-specific software is that it
allows them to price it according to region, or to schedule releases
in a culturally profitable manner -- e.g. before Christmas in the
West.)

                                        Juliusz