Re: How the regional Online- News papers are able to display all the characters

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 14:06:07 EDT

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Sreedhar.M wrote:

> I would like to know how the regional news paper websites
> are able to display all the characters through webbrowser without
> asking the user to download any new fonts.When I viewed the source ,
> there was a link to a file with " .pfr " extension.can anybody tell me
> how to open these files and what is it meant for?

  A quick google search with 'web font pfr' turned up several leads.
Among them is <http://www.w3.org/Fonts>. According to that, pfr stands
for portable font resource and is used by Bitstream's Truedoc (one of
ways to distribute fonts over the net without user's intervention).

The site you mentioned below also uses 'eot' for MS
IE. Another google search with 'web font eot' led me to
<http://members.tripod.com/~bhaavana/embedded/faq.html>.

> More over it the site is not using any unicode fonts.How they are able
> to render the text in regional languages so clearly.
> You can just visit the following site and send me Your comments
> regarding my questions. http://www.eenadu.net

  The site is using so-called font-hack. Instead of using Unicode and
delegating rendering of Indic text represented in Unicode to smart fonts
and rendering engines on the client side, it relies on a proprieatary
font encoding to represent Indic text and a proprieatary font with that
particular encoding to be transferred over the net (pfr and eot are
there for this purpose).

  Jungshik Shin