Re: Chess symbols, ZWJ, Opentype and holly type ornaments.

From: David Starner (starner@okstate.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 20 2002 - 02:40:30 EDT

At 05:16 PM 6/19/02 -0700, Barry Caplan wrote:
>Is that is the consensus here? .... Would it be nice to have a place to
>publicize PUA uses so that the codepoints can be used? Something like CPAN
>for Perl perhaps? Otherwise it seems like a lot of wheels might be
>reinvented...

How often is the PUA really need to be used in a manner that needs to be
publicized? Some parts of the Conscript registry, Gaspar Sinai's Hungarian
Runic implementation, and the handful of characters Adobe and Microsoft put
in the PUA, and perhaps a few other small pieces are all that are really
interesting for public use. There shouldn't be a need to invent that many
wheels - if many people need to exchange it using the PUA, it's passed the
major restriction to entering Unicode.

I don't think it's so much that we don't want to hear about PUA uses;
they're more interesting than "How do I use Unicode on foo system?" that's
constantly running across here. It's just that William Overington keeps
coming up with these assignments to the PUA for stuff where there's no
problem doing it in Unicode or XML. And he does so in an extraordinarily
verbose style; my eyes glaze over before I've read more than 10% of most of
his messages. If you have something succinct and clued, I doubt anyone
would complain about mailing it to this list.