Re: Common input methods for IPA

From: Lukas Pietsch (lukas.pietsch@pluto.uni-freiburg.de)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 14:32:55 EDT

Hi Marc Wilhelm,

> In this brave new world of wonderful input methods, what is
> the current state of affairs for keyboard-based input methods
> for characters from the IPA block? Is there any de facto standard
> for this and, for that matter, for an IPA keyboard layout?

I'm not aware of a standard either (maybe the Keyman keyboards
distributed by SIL for their SIL phonetic fonts come closest to one, in
terms
of widest distribution), but I guess any *international* standard would
be highly problematic anyway - any key mnemonics are bound to fail for
users that are
accustomed to one national keyboard and not another. Personally, I've
come to use my own home-grown Keyman method for Unicode IPA. Maybe I am
and shall remain the only person in this world who finds the layout
intuitive, but it works for me. Since it's based on the layout of a
German keyboard, you might find it worth having a look at:

http://people.freenet.de/LukasPietsch/Keyman/Keyboards.html

Hope this helps,

Lukas