Re: Unicode Devanagari Font in Mozilla

From: James Kass (jameskass@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 09:38:29 EDT

Michael Jansson wrote,

> > Code2000 is OpenType. Don't know about Code 2000.
>
> Ooops. Sorry about the typo.

That's OK. Actually, Michael Kaplan put the space in there and you
just picked it up.

I'm more concerned with the misinformation than the typo. It's
happened a couple of times where someone has written in that the
font isn't OpenType.

If anyone on Windows platforms wants to check whether a font
is OpenType, Microsoft has a free download called TTFEXT.EXE
which reveals extended font properties when a font's icon is
right clicked. Along with OpenType and code page information,
this program reveals a font's licensing and copyright information.

TTFEXT.EXE download page.
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/property/property.htm

> <snip>
>
> Windows defaults to a more appropriate font if you select one that can not
> show a particular language (well, there is much more to it than that, but
> you get the idea).

Sure, sometimes Windows defaults to a less appropriate font if you select
one that can show a particular script.

> For example, Latha does not contain Latin characters.
> Still, you can use it to write English text.

I'm sceptical about that. (Or, as this might appear in any font
which lacks Latin: ▯▯▯ ▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯▯ ▯▯▯▯▯ ▯▯▯▯. )

Best regards,

James Kass.