Re: Unicode Devanagari Font in Mozilla

From: James Kass (jameskass@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 10:43:26 EDT

Michael Jansson wrote,

> ... People may as easily fail to
> update a Win9x system with Uniscribe and a 23KB font as they would with a
> 23MB font.

True.

> The amount of support needed to sort out these users would still
> be the same.

Also true. One FAQ page with brief instructions ought to do it.

> I'm not arguing that you can not update one Win9x machine to show Tamil
> correctly. I'm arguing that you should not advice companies to tell a
> million web users to do that on a broad basis. You need test coverage,
> support, etc before doing that.

Uniscribe is a windows application and Microsoft tests it. Both
Microsoft and Apple provide tools to font developers which validate
fonts. TTF/OTF fonts have a rigid structure, if a font passes either
Microsoft's or Apple's font validators yet a system crashes, it's the
system that's got the problem.

> Let's summarize what I have said:

OK.

> 1 - My original posting on this thread clearly states that you need to be
> careful when trying to use Uniscribe on Win9x, because it is not officially
> supported there.

I think versions of USP10.DLL ("Uniscribe") exist on just about every
Win9x platform. Since only Unicode-aware software uses Uniscribe,
I can't see how installing a newer version would not be officially
supported.

> There would be an official "Update your Win9x with
> Uniscribe" service pack if it would be possible. Maybe there will be
> someday, though I doubt it.

There should be, but I doubt if there will be, too. Not because it's a
bad idea, but because Microsoft doesn't really need to support Win 9x
anymore, it's a dead-end platform.

Please refer to Andrew Cunningham's letter to this list from last
January for more info about Uniscribe and how to update it:
( ...