Basic question: types of diacritics marks

From: Adam Twardoch (list.adam@twardoch.com)
Date: Thu Jul 18 2002 - 18:56:29 EDT

I have a very basic question. What would be the implementation differences
of diacritics marks in a font? For example, we'd consider:

U+00B4 acute accent
U+02CA modifier letter acute accent
U+0301 combining acute accent

What are the common recommendations regarding the glyphs in a font
(TrueType), especially with respect to the metrics? Should I support all
three above codepoints? If so, can I do this with one glyph? Or should I
provide separate glyphs?

And, briefly, what are the principal differences between the three types of
marks?

Adam