Re: book on Oirat

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 13:33:52 EDT

At 10:28 -0600 2002-03-26, Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:
>FYI, Lincom Europa has a new book on written Oirat. See
>
>http://linguistlist.org/issues/13/13-804.html
>
>and
>
>http://home.t-online.de/home/LINCOM.EUROPA/nl.htm

Sigh. My copy arrived today. By "Written Oirat" the author Attila
Rákos means "the traditional literary language of the Western
Mongols". As such the book is a fine little reference grammar for
literary Oirat. But there are only two pages of charts on the writing
system and no examples.

Short vowels: A E I O Ö U Ü
Long vowels: AA EE IYI OO ÖÖ UU/OU ÜÜ/ÖÜ
Other compound letters: II UU U
Consonants: N NG X GH B S SH T D L M C/CH Z/JH Y K' K' Q G R

Yes, two examples of K' with different glyphs. I suspect an error for
K and K'. There is a chart at the beginning which show which
consonants can occur in which positions in a word. All in all, it'll
be useful, but not by itself, for looking at Oirat at some stage.

--
Michael Everson *** Everson Typography *** http://www.evertype.com