Re: Unicode certification - was RE: Dublin Conference/Standard Disclaimer

From: David Possin (dave_i18n@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 10:30:18 EDT

Thanks for the Fish, Marion!

We could meet at Milliway's and establish the back room setup there.
The compliance guidelines could then be called "Unicode's Guide to the
Galaxy". A 100% compliant system receives the rating '42'.
Non-compliant systems are processed by the Vogons.

Yes, right now my check list for Unicode compliance when contacting 3rd
parties looks more like this, the higher the number the better:

0. Uni-what?
1. I know somebody who can spell Unicode.
2. I can spell Unicode.
3. Yeah, the specs say it works but we never tested it.
4. We tried it once, seemed to work.
5. We use Java, that's Unicode, right?
6. Yes, but we had to let the developer go who did it when we downsized
the last time, so I am not sure about the details.
7. Yes, and it is running with different languages in Europe.
8. Yes, and it is running with different languages in Asia.
9. Yes, it is running with several languages at once.
10. Yes, and we have bidi and complex scripting too.

That is about as far as I get, I can only dream of being able to get
details like David Starner described for compliance.

"`This must be Thursday,' said [Dave] to himself, sinking low over his
beer, `I never could get the hang of Thursdays.'"

=====
Dave Possin
Globalization Consultant
www.Welocalize.com