logical order (and Thai)

From: Samphan Raruenrom (samphan@thai.com)
Date: Sat Jul 27 2002 - 11:03:22 EDT

Kenneth Whistler wrote:
> Ummm. Logical order, visual order, aural order, phonemic order,
> linear order... We are in danger of losing track of the ground we
> stand on.

Totally agree.

> Logical order versus visual order, in the Unicode Standard,
> refers to the relationship between backing store order and
> display order. The main issue is for bidirectional text.

Fortunately, this is put clear enough in the Unicode book,

> There is a separate issue which has to do with alternative
> models of Brahmi-derived scripts.
> The "Indic model" ...
> The "Thai model" ...
> Note, however, that *both* of these models inherently imply non-linear
> mappings at some level. In the Indic model, the mapping from
> phonology to backing store is straightforward, but the mapping
> from backing store to display (i.e., the "rendering") will
> have local direction reversals and/or 1-2 character-to-glyph
> mappings, in the case of reordrant or surroundrant vowels.
> The Thai model displaces the mapping complexity to the
> mapping from phonology to backing store, while simplifying the
> rendering.

But this is not. It would be easier to avoid these confusions if
the above description about "non-linear mapping" of Brahmi-derived
scripts was written clearly in Chapter 2 of the book in the
section about logical order.

> Given this picture, it should now be easier to see why Thai
> rendering is easier than Devanagari, but Thai sorting
> (which runs afoul of the mismatch between phonology and
> backing store order) in more problematical. It is simply
> a tradeoff of which level of processing gets the complexity.

Does this mean that there's nothing illogical or less-prefered
with the Thai model?
If so, please also consider the following question (a little bit
rephrased)