Re: "Missing character" glyph

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Fri Aug 02 2002 - 20:00:27 EDT

> Nope. Can't encode a nonexistent letter. Can encode ANYTHING WE WANT
> anywhere that's free. Them's the rules.

Oh, I don't know about that. How about U+1247, which by the structure
of the table would be for ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE QWA (Q-WA), except that that
value is already logically drained by the existence of a labialized
series, i.e. U+1248 ETHIOPIC SYLLABLE QWA (QW-A)?

You'd have to be pretty nuts, or pretty desparate for BMP encoding
space to put anything else in *that* slot!

--Ken