Re: "Missing character" glyph

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 05:13:38 EDT

Asmus Freytag wrote:

> At 08:40 PM 7/30/02 -0700, Doug Ewell wrote:
>> a code-point that has no
>> > character assigned to it (and is not likely to get one), e. g. U+03A2

Doug is not the culprit; it was me who wrote that sentence.

> No code point is safe.

The very reason why I chose the wording "not likely".

I have selected U+03A2 with care: this code point covers the place
of a non-existing "Greek capital letter final sigma". I think that
this code-point -- while, admittedly, unsafe as any other unassigned
one -- is rather unlikely to get assigned a character, in the fore-
seeable future.

Please do not promote an assignation to U+03A2 just do make a point :-)

Best wishes,
   Otto Stolz