Re: ISIRI 2901 to Unicode map

From: Marc Durdin (mcdlist@tavultesoft.com)
Date: Sun Aug 04 2002 - 03:54:05 EDT

David,

At 03:52 PM 3/08/2002 -0700, David Possin wrote:
>The whole DDK is documented in msdn. Do a search for 'keyboard DDK"
>there and you will find a lot of information. When I am on my develoer
>system next week I will look at the DDK itself on our CDs and I will
>let you know offlist what I found. The sample code isn't online.

You can download the DDK (including a sample Windows NT keyboard source) from msdn.microsoft.com if you can handle a big download.

>From what I can tell it is similar to older systems where I once wrote
>a keyboard driver that read in mappings to different character sets and
>macros. Back then I used a flat txt file to store the key mapping, it
>looked similar to the Unicode character description. I could imagine a
>XML file with key tags to do the same today, assigning keys to codes
>with all the shift levels and other key status information.
>
>KeyboardClassServiceCallback:
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/intinput/hh/intinput/kref_712q.asp
>
>Take a look at KbFilter_ServiceCallback then, which allows you to
>delete, transform, or insert data.
>
>I am personally interested in this hook for test automation to simulate
>keyboard import of Unicode characters.

I can't see how you could use KbFilter_ServiceCallback to simulate keyboard import of Unicode characters -- unless you were depending on existing Unicode keyboard layouts defined by MS. In which case you might as well use the SendInput API or similar.

Mind you, I think that mapping one keystroke directly to one character is about as sensible as mapping one character directly to one glyph...

Cheers,

Marc Durdin