Re: Updated Unicode Example PDF

From: Tex Texin (tex@i18nguy.com)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 03:32:09 EDT

William,
thanks for the comments.
I would be glad to have Tamil and additional languages. As I am not an
expert in many of the languages that the example file could possibly
contain, I look for others to submit examples that I can include.

As the point of this example file is to demonstrate how businesses can
leverage Unicode, as they might with names of real people and their
origins, which could be customer, vendor, etc. names and addresses, I
look for examples that help make this case.

That said, I do have a few exotic entries such as Archimedes in Ancient
Sicily in BC, so German Fraktur and 18th Century English are not out of
the question. I wouldn't want to have an excess of (what I think are)
non-business examples, but a few make the point that Unicode goes beyond
business needs.

I would be glad for your or others' submissions.

I think the PDF just captures what I can show on my Win XP system and
from there should be portable to other systems.
If someone has a portability problem with PDF I would like to know of
it. (I do know of some problems with ghostview and other viewers.)

The html files are more a function of platform, browser, and fonts, and
I am sure the quality varies by user.
On my system I can see all of the languages presented. Apparently MAC OS
X does even better.

If you or anyone else would like to submit examples, please do.
Send me privately the utf-8 for the name and origin, and the english
equivalents, and recommend the publicly available fonts I can use to
display it.

The submissions I have not used, fell into categories of:
a) Submissions that didn't demonstrate any interesting characters or
languages in Unicode not already shown or especially
b) celebrity names or places that were submitted only because they were
the submitters favorite celebrity place...
(some courtney coxes, jennifer anistons, etc. also several French and
Spanish celebrities with names completely in English letters)
c) I try to avoid controversial names (some governmental, or religious
leaders, porn stars, etc.)

tex

William Overington wrote:

> > The PDF version of the Compelling Unicode Example has been updated.
> > http://www.i18nguy.com/unicode/unicodeexample.pdf
>
> [snipped]
>
> >I would be glad for comments on or off list.
> >tex
>
> I notice that there is no entry for Tamil. In view of the discussions
> concerning Tamil in other threads recently, can you please say whether the
> pdf file could support a Unicode example in Tamil please? The reason why I
> am asking is that as Unicode does not encode code points for all Tamil
> ligatures I am wondering whether a pdf file can support a Tamil display upon
> such platforms as Windows 98.
>
> Also, would you be able to have an example in German Fraktur where a ch
> ligature is needed?
>
> Also, would you be able to have an example using a transcription of 18th
> Century English printing using a ct ligature in that pdf file?
>
> William Overington

Making e-Business Work Around the World