Re: Unicode??

From: Martin Kochanski (unicode@cardbox.net)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 06:36:23 EDT

At 13:03 03/08/02 -0700, Doug Ewell wrote:
>I don't know
>of any alphabet that uses all of the characters (ã, ẽ, ĩ, õ, ũ, ỹ).

A few years ago the European Commission quite seriously proposed abolishing "ñ": it added complications and was only used by transpyrenean garlic-eaters anyway. [This was about the same time as the French were proposing to abolish â: and it wasn't even April 1st]. The proposal was defeated after a short but acrimonious debate.

When Spain's turn for the 6-month European presidency came round, they had to choose a logo - you can't have a presidency without one, apparently - and so they came up with...

        e+tilde.

They claimed that the "e" stood for Europe and the "~" for I don't know what... but I think it stood for elegant revenge.