(OT) KLEZ Virus

From: James Kass (jameskass@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 06:44:09 EDT

The KLEZ virus appears to be fairly common now.

It "spoofs" e-mail addresses making it difficult to determine
the actual originator.

When contacting someone I know to advise that his system
might be infected with this virus, I was surprised that he
had been receiving e-mails purporting to come from me which
also included the KLEZ virus.

Of course, neither of us actually have an infected system, and
these virus attachments were not sent by us.

Both he and I have also been receiving "bounced" messages from
some ISPs rejecting our supposed messages because they were
infected.

Both he and I are members of this list. It's entirely possible
that someone else on this list has the actual infection, because
the KLEZ apparently can get both the "From" and "Send To"
addresses out of the real sender's address list.

Please, everyone, make sure that you have current anti-virus
software installed along with updated virus definitions and
that you perform virus scans as recommended.

And, don't open any unexpected e-mail attachments, even when
they purport to come from someone known.

Best regards,

James Kass.